Monday 10 November 2014

New Brief

The title of our new brief is 'Commercial Image Creation' and I have a big decision to make on what I want the future to hold for me as whatever I choose from the list will be career altering in some way. Which is definitely scary but it's why I wanted to change to this course; the simple fact that I get these kinds of career opportunities whilst still studying.

  • Com Arts Brief- Competition
  • Ernest Brief 
  • Liberty Brief 
  • Off Life Brief- Comic 
  • One & Other Brief 
  • Two Puffins and a Penguin- Book Cover
  • Travelling Man- Comic/Zine Brief 
  • Wylam Brief- Beer Labels/ Clips

All of these opportunities are amazing but it's whittling it down to which will suit my illustrative style and which will give me the most motivation to really do it right. 
Although the two Comic book briefs are awesome, it's not my style... maybe it's something that I can get into at a later date but for now and the time frame I have I don't have enough experience to do it right. 
In terms of the Competition Brief and the Ernest Brief it is simply down to funding and the fact that I would have to fund everything myself and this is something that is not achievable at the moment for me. 
The Book Cover brief wants something more graphics led and this is not the career path I really want to go down.
Now after getting it down to three briefs I am very stuck as each appeals to me in a different way... 

The Liberty Brief leapt out at me as I already have a lot of experience from last year in designing prints/ illustrations for fabric but at the same time the fabric side was one of the reasons I left the course as when we work together we do not agree on what the final product should look like because fabric is just stubborn. This led me on to look at the vast range of home ware and stationary that liberty stock and made me consider it more seriously as working on paper and other solid objects really appeals to me as I can still use the techniques from last year and translate them to a more illustration led project. Plus it would be a complete career changer if I were to make it through even the first stage of the open call, and if not the advice and feedback I would recieve would be worth so much to furthering myself in the future. 

The One & Other magazine editorials also appealed to me. Being from York and having actually read the magazine it's a really cool little publication and I feel that having lived in York for the first 18 yard of my life would benefit me with this brief. Another factor is that if I get my editorial illustrations chosen it could mean they may keep coming back for different commissions from me in the years to come, I know they like to showcase new talents as my old photography tutor from York College used to write and take pictures for them quite regularly. If my illustrations are deemed right for the magazine it will be seen by so many people in and around York and also tourists. 

Finally the Wylam Brewery Brief seems like an amazing opportunity, the beer clips and labels will be used for the nationwide Illustration symposium meaning a huge amount of exposure to industry professionals plus the new beer will be placed in various pubs around the country. I also feel that one of the reasons  have kept this as a main contender is due to the fact I know it will challenge me, the historical references needed for the products really interest me as I always like to have a good read and I know that I will need to look up the Roman era and other independent beer companies illustrative labels to really make mine stand out. 

I really need to think hard before tomorrow as once we have chosen it is set in stone. I like all three for different reasons and this makes it ten times harder. 
I think deep down I know what I want to do but I don't want to be stuck later down the line thinking 'what if?' 

No comments:

Post a Comment