Tuesday 17 February 2015

Initial Portrait Research

I went to the library and found an Illustrations now! book on portraits specifically. I came across a few I liked, for their simple compositions and style. I also wanted to look at how other illustrators captured the person they were drawing and how successful it was. 


I rely love this contemporary religious portraits. It contains aspects of the more classical style but also by introducing  bright colour palette and a simple line it gives a really nice effect. 



These two images above by German illustrator, Henrik Abrahams, are really successful in capturing the character of the subject. I also really love how simple the portraits are in terms of style.


The simple style of these works also appeal to my mindset in terms of this module, the portraits are slightly off the figure, but the artist still captures the character. The pieces are acrylic on canvas with a quick run through Photoshop.  


Bob London's simple works are some of the best in the book in my opinion, I love the lo-fi style and line work. The muted colour palette looks awesome against the simple black line. 
     
Book:
Illustration now! Portraits, Ed Julius Wiedemann, Taschen, 2011




No comments:

Post a Comment