Thursday 19 February 2015

Artist Inspiration: Maria Herreros

One of the main illustrators I have been interested in recently is Maria Herreros and her ability to create beautiful portraits that, on the surface seem naive, but really they have captured the personality of the subjects so perfectly. I adore her quirky, lo-fi style of line and her use of colour in the pieces. As I have stated previously though, it is not the use of colour I am really interested in when looking at artists for this project, it is their line work and the overall formation of the subject that interests me. 


David Lynch, 2012

Company She Keeps, 2013

Audrey Hepburn at a Flower Market, 2013

I feel as though looking at really contemporary artists of this module is vital, they are working and living in the current climate and are creating works for audiences now. Especially Herreros. 
Her lines are lilted and unconventional but the way she can capture a face is magical. As stated in the previous post, I have emailed her enquiring if she has ever encountered any copyright issues surround her famous people portraits, as this is very important to really understand what I could expect of my products, even though they are technically my intellectual property. 
The answer was pretty straight forward, it does sort of make me feel a bit more comfortable with proceeding with the project. 

Illustration now! 5, Julius Weidemann, Taschen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment